www.458socomforums.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check your spam/junk box for activation letter !

Author Topic: WTS: Custom .458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle -- SOLD PENDING FUNDS!!!  (Read 12181 times)

M4Madness

• View Profile
WTS: Custom .458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle -- SOLD PENDING FUNDS!!!
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »

SOLD PENDING FUNDS!!!

I  am offering up for sale my beloved .458 SOCOM rifle. I believe this rifle to be one of the finest examples of a .458 SOCOM out there, and it is reflected in the amount of effort I had to go to in order to assemble it. The upper receiver assembly was originally built by Marty himself using one of the extra-thick DPMS upper receivers, a 20" stainless Lothar Walther barrel, and a knurled aluminum handguard (one of the Castle Arms uppers). The upper receiver became a stumbling block when it came to installing a LaRue 13.2" railed handguard, as the thickness made it impossible to insert the rail's screws. I had to hire a machinist to relieve a small pocket on each side of the receiver for the screws:

The next troublesome area was the LaRue low-profile gas block. The inside diameter was too small for this huge barrel, so I sent it off to Randall Rausch of AR15Barrels.com, and he opened up the inside diameter to the correct size. I also had him take a 7.62 YHM Phantom flash suppressor and open it up so that a .458 SOCOM bullet could safely pass through it. I sent the barrel off to Doug Melton of SRT Arms for threading. I'd used him for threading in the past, since as a suppressor manufacturer, he knows the importance of threads being concentric to the bore.

The .458 SOCOM rollmarked lower was one of a limited special run done by Tony Rumore of Tromix.

The Chip McCormick trigger breaks clean and light at around 3 pounds, and is a very exceptional trigger.

Here's how it looked after final assembly, but before duracoating:

Here's how it looked after I paid R.I.P. Custom Arms in Texas $300 for the DuraCoat finish in Magpul Flat Dark Earth:

The DuraCoat finish is very durable, and is resistant to weather. Just wipe it down with a cloth and put it away in the safe. To quote Lauer Weaponry (the creators of DuraCoat): "A firearm coated with DuraCoat simply will not rust...EVER!"

COMPONENTS[/u]

Teppo Jutsu .458 SOCOM flat top upper with stainless Lothar Walther barrel  $845
Tromix .458 SOCOM lower receiver $145
Magul dark earth PRS buttstock $239
Magpul XT dark earth rail covers (4) $44
LaRue LT104 SPR M4 1.5 one inch ring scope mount $195
Magpul MIAD full kit pistol grip $44
KNS .154" anti-rotating firecontrol pins $30                   
Larue 13.2" railed forearm $329
Barrel threaded 5/8" X 24 $85
Bushmaster lower parts/buffer tube/buffer spring/buffer $82
LaRue 0.936" low-profile gas block $90
.458 SOCOM Phantom flash suppressor $45
Chip McCormick single stage match trigger $175
Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36 scope (55032) $400
Butler Creek flip-open scope covers $20
DuraCoat in Magpul Dark Earth $300

Total: $3068

The above does not include lots of shipping charges for the parts, nor the two-way shipping charges to send the rifle to Texas for the DuraCoating, nor does it include machining costs for the receiver, gas block, or flash suppressor. It also does not include Indiana sales taxes that were incurred. I figure I have invested at least $3300 in this rifle.

I have taken two coyotes, three antlerless deer, and two bucks that made the Indiana record book with this rifle:

2009 Buck:

150 0/8" Official gross score

Another view of the above 150" buck with rifle in photo:

2010 Buck:

168 6/8" Official gross score

This rifle has had exactly 33 rounds through it –– I bought 40 rounds, gave 1 to the landowner where I killed my two record book bucks, and still have 6 left. When sighting in, it printed an 11/16" 3-shot group at 100 yards with Wagner Accuswage ammunition.

I will also include two brand new flat dark earth Mapul PMAG's with 1/07 date codes. These are the early versions that can be used with a .458 SOCOM, and all they need is a little radius trimmed on the front to function in this rifle. I have already marked on them what needs trimmed –– I just never got around to doing it.

I am asking $2500 + shipping for the rifle. I would also sell the rifle without the optic and mount for $2050 + shipping. I accept payment via USPS money orders or Paypal (+4%). The ONLY trade I would consider would be a LaRue OBR 7.62, so please don't make other trade offers. SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY, PLEASE!

The rifle will ship via UPS in a cheap hardcase enclosed in cardboard. Just to be safe, figure 15 pounds shipped weight with the package dimensions being 11.25" X 4.75" X 49.25". The UPS hub is a 40-mile roundtrip for me, but I have no problems doing so. Please go the UPS website to get an estimate on shipping from 47403.

Let's say that you were to buy a Rock River Arms LAR-458 with 16" barrel for $1150. Add in the Magpul accessories, LaRue rail, gas block, and scope mount, Chip McCormick trigger, Leupold scope and covers, KNS pins, and DuraCoating, and you'd be sitting at around $2500 + sales tax –– and still not have a stainless 20" Lothar Walther match barrel and Phantom. I feel that my rifle is a deal for a .458 SOCOM of this magnitude, and my $800 loss is your gain.

I would be willing to part it out, BUT ONLY IF THE UPPER SELLS FIRST. Prices below would be the rock bottom I'd take for each component:

Complete upper receiver assembly MINUS the scope and mount -- $1145
Lower receiver MINUS the trigger assembly, pistol grip, and buttstock/buffer assembly -- $250
Scope and mount -- $475
Trigger and anti-rotation pins -- $165
Buttstock/buffer assembly -- $200
Pistol grip (full kit with multiple front and back panels) -- $30

I used to be a moderator on this site before the site upgrade, and am a member of the site staff of AR15.com. Deal with confidence. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:07:46 PM by M4Madness »

Hk_usp_40

• View Profile
Re: WTS: Custom .458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »

Your info over at arfcom is a big reason that I ended up getting a socom. I have referenced the pictures and description of this rifle many times. The fact that you are selling it makes me very sad for some reason. And even sadder that I can't buy it.

I wont typically post in a sale thread if I am not buying something, but I had to get this off my chest :(

crwfte

• View Profile
Re: WTS: Custom .458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle -- SOLD PENDING FUNDS!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »

Did the sale go through?

458MADNESS

• View Profile
Re: WTS: Custom .458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle -- SOLD PENDING FUNDS!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

that is a dang good deal. i wish i could take it. i might still consider it but i have a feelin that someone else will snatch it up quick. did you fire it at all after you duracoated it, cuz the pics don't show any wear on the lower receiver, that i figured might be there after manipulating the controls, etc. etc.