www.458socomforums.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

To help eliminate Spam please register on our new Forum if you have not done so already. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Author Topic: Which do you recommend? 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC  (Read 1302 times)

Jkling12

• View Profile
Which do you recommend? 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

I am looking to build a new AR. I know a lot of you guys have multiple AR rifles in different calibers so you probably have personal experience with these.  Depending on what website you look at it seems that the comparison between the two are very one sided toward one or another. Looking for something for about 400 yards and in. I would reload so ammo prices aren't a factor. It would be a whitetail, pronghorn, coyote gun so nothing big. Thanks for any info.

DDriller

• View Profile
Re: Which do you recommend? 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »

IMO neither is great past 300 yards, both are good calibers.  For longer range target shooting the grendel as the edge due to longer higher BC bullets. The 6.8 does better in shorter barrels.  There are a few new bullets in the 6.8 that will extend the ethical killing range to 350.  I have 2 6.8s and 1 6.5  I prefer the 6.8.  Best advise I can give you is build both.  :D

Big Bore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »

I have both.  Both are great.  Both will do the job.  The 6.5 has better BC bullets so it has a very slight edge for LR, but if you cannot hit it with a 6.8 having a 6.5 won't help you any.  6.8 brass is easier to find, but if you are not an anal person that has to have the headstamp match the caliber, a trip through a sizing die turns 7.62 x 39 brass into 6.5 Grendel brass.  While some fire form it before working up loads it is not really necessary from what I have been told.  I have had several people tell me that they see no difference in loads fired from straight 7.62 x 39 brass after a trip through the sizing die and those that were sized then fire formed.  I have just gotten into making my brass from 7.62 x 39 brass using Winchester cases so I cannot say for 100% certainty but I trust the guys who have told me not to bother fire forming before doing load work up.
Bullet selection is good for both.  Lots of load information.  There is not the multiple chamber conflict with the 6.5 as there is with the 6.8 so IMO if you do go 6.8, get the 6.8 SPC II, 6.8 DMR, or the 6.8 x 43 chamber.  Get a 1:11 to 1:12 twist, 4 groove, and a barrel maker I highly recommend is AR Performance.  H has done more work with the 6.8 than just about anyone.  Two of my 6.8s have barrels that are from the now defunct Cardinal Armory (Kotronics) and one has a DPMS M4 profile barrel.  The DPMS is a 1:10 but has been rechambered to 6.8 SPC II.  The two CA barrels are 1:11 and SPC II chambers.  All shoot the old SSA combat loads (the real combat loads, not the ones they are now loading which have been loaded down) without any problems but I did not shoot those loads in the DPMS barrel before it was rechambered.  The 1:10 twist does not seem a problem with my barrel but I cannot say about others.  Be sure to check 68forums.com for more info on the 6.8.  I have not been on the 6.5 forums in ages because those people are worse than the 6.8 people to a factor of 10.  They want to run anyone that even looks at a 6.8 out of town on a rail while being tar and feathered.
If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose the 6.8 because of the larger acceptance of the round, more companies loading for it, more information available for it.  
By the way, my 6.5 has a medium profile LW 20 inch stainless match barrel with the .295 CSS chamber and one of my 6.8s has a medium profile 18 inch SPR barrel SPC II chamber, 1:11, 4 groove, and  chrome lined.  The 6.5 is slightly heavier profile.  Otherwise the two rifles are almost identical except for the color of the furniture.  One is as accurate as the other but I have not done load work up in either yet.  So far I have shot Wolf (which I advise you to avoid) and Hornady ammo through the 6.5 and Remington and SSA through the 6.8s.  Both of those rifles will hold 1-1.25 MOA with the loads it likes best.  I've been doing too much load work up with some other rifles for the last year and a half so those have been sort of neglected.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:21:32 AM by Big Bore »
Join the N. R. A.
Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

happyfast79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »

i have a 6.5 and shoot it out to 1200 yards, its supersonic a little past there.  i shoot anything from 85 gr to 140 gr and you can get some high bc bullets in the 6.5 caliber . so it all comes down to what you want, i love mine

Jkling12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »

Thanks for the info. I have been on both of the forums and it seems like they are cut throat towards each other on which is "better" so i figured i'd ask you guys that have both. I am leaning towards the 6.8 but did not realize there is a 2nd version.

elkbow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »

I would say 6.8 only for a few reasons, more of a focus on the 6.8, more selections of barrels, more availability of brass, just more common....

not alot of performance differences between the two, so I narrow it down to availability and selection

i have 3 of the 6.8's....but was thinking of adding a 6.5 to the stable, just because, like everything else i have lol

babirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »

i have 3 of the 6.8's....but was thinking of adding a 6.5 to the stable, just because, like everything else i have lol

Yep, I "want" one but don't "need" a 6.5 (yet)...  ;D

I love 6.8 SPC and the now-standard Spec II upgrade even though all I currently have is a lowly RRA version... More uppers/rifles coming soon.

Sadly, the 6.8 world will remain confusing for a bit because the initial REM offering wasn't optimized and not sure where that fight is going as to initial SAAMI standards.  Regardless, pretty much all recent offerings are in Spec II, and are a significant upgrade to 5.56/.223 if you're hunting or looking for other applications downrange to about 300m w/ more energy.  As stated, the 6.5 has a better BC for long-range but the 6.8 seems to have traction.

I'd shoot anything up to an elk w/ good shot placement and confidence w/ the Barnes 110 gr TSX bullets or Sierra Pro-Hunters.  The "best of the best" of options seems to be the Barnes TTSX 95 gr and it's become the "official" Wilson Combat load of choice and he was "late" to the game. 

Anyhow, can't wait to try my somewhat-sucky 458S RRA upper vs. hogs and whatever soon.  I will make it better soon!

B2

Regardless, for a "newbie" 6.8 SPC shooter a few years ago I "anchored/dropped in tracks" these hogs w/ the 6.8 and SSA Barnes 110 TSX non-tac loads @ ~ 165 yds:

(Yep, I can't WAIT to get this RRA 458S going...  ;D)

LIVE WELL! LAUGH OFTEN! LOVE MUCH!

There's no such thing as the good life, there's just life -- Now go live it!

NRA Life Member... Now Patron Life.

elkbow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:24:34 AM »

nice job on the hogs....been meaning to go for quite awhile, friend keeps inviting me to go to his lease in TX...but too busy with work and school....

yeah i definitely want to try my SOCOM on some hogs....but I have night vision on one of my 6.8's, so want to use it also....